- Published on 26 September 2016
The Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce Women’s Desk (ZNCC WD) successfully held its 4th edition of the highly regarded Women in Enterprise Conference and Awards (WECA 2016) at Cresta Lodge Msasa, Harare on the 16th of Sept 2016.
The 4th edition of this conference and dinner was running under the theme; “Sustainability of Women Owned Businesses in Zimbabwe through Connecting Women Entrepreneurs to Markets”.
The panel discussion profiled high level experts on, Obtaining Finance and Credit Lines for women Entrepreneurs, making markets Work for Women Entrepreneurs and Statutory Instrument 64 of 2016.
The WECA conference and dinner full-house attendance of 190 and 250 delegates respectively, was enough evidence that the annual event has become a house-hold name over the years since its inaugural in 2013.
ZNCC Deputy President and Women’s Desk Chairperson, who pioneered the WECA platform, Mentorship in Practice initiative Divine Ndhlukula, welcomed the anxious delegates to the conference and the dinner.
The Women in Enterprise Conference and Awards (WECA) is a brainchild of the ZNCC Women’s Desk, a gender desk which is chaired by an award winning businesswoman who is also the Deputy President of the Chamber, Divine Ndhlukula. WECA is an innovation towards assessing the roles, up-scale businesswomen and also celebrates them.
WECA 2016 ended on a celebratory note for the women who were recognised and awarded received their awards.
Opening Remarks-Divine Ndhlukula
The ZNCC Deputy President and Women’s Desk Chairperson Divine Ndhlukula, who passionately spearheads the ZNCC Women’s Desk, welcomed the anxious delegates to the day conference with the following remarks;
- We are pleased to welcome you to the 4th edition of Women in Enterprise Conference and Awards - WECA 2016 hosted by your voice of business , Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce ZNCC Women’s Desk.
- The WECA platform is about practical solutions for women to scale up their enterprises. It is about supporting women entrepreneurs from start-up phase to reaching their pinnacle in building large scale enterprises through coaching, mentoring, leaning on each other, learning from each other, supporting each other. As Hillary Clinton said “Women are the largest untapped reservoir of talent in the world today.”
- We will achieve this by sharing learning experiences, supporting one another in our own supply chains, celebrating each other, celebrating role models, and creating a regional and global network of women entrepreneurs.
- Our theme this year Sustainability of Women Owned Businesses in Zimbabwe through Connecting Women Entrepreneurs to Markets resonates with the very exciting initiative we are about to embark on. You will hear more of it later.
- This platform colleague is about helping women scale up their businesses, starting up a business for women is not an issue any more. Every woman has started up something, and, the only issue now is growing the enterprises, and of course tied to that is capital.
Today, we will hear and talk about some issues that will enable us to grow our enterprises. These topics were carefully chosen as they are very pertinent to where we are as women, and they talk to where we want to be sooner rather than later. Our very eminent speakers and panellists will talk to us about;
1. Obtaining Finance and Credit Lines For Women Entrepreneurs: National Financial Inclusion Strategy
2. Making Markets Work For Women Entrepreneurs :Tapping Into Corporate Supply Chains-
3. Statutory Instrument 64 of 2016 opportunities for women entrepreneurs
- Let’s be open as feedback from participants is very important.
- This is the time to fulfil the realization of REAL women economic empowerment. Let us seize the moment ladies. The winds of change are blowing in our favour
I wish all of us a productive and enjoyable conference!!!